Sunday, June 24, 2007

Truth Never Changes

We’ve seen the shot. Earth from space, a place few have seen or experienced first hand. It's one thing I’ll never be able to check off my “To Do List”.

The astronauts’ perspective of our home, planet earth, seen from space, is something we can try to imagine. I imagine it with two thoughts—one with God and one without. My choice is with. We can debate the points of method or means of creation, if you think it is important. I don’t, but agree I am fascinated by it. My focus is on the Maker and why. I trust in God and I know the answer.

This week, before the space shuttle safely returned to California, my friend Nancy received an email. It was from Danny Olivas onboard the shuttle. He is the astronaut who fixed the torn blanket on the shuttle last week. She knows him from Houston(We all wait to hear who she will meet in her new life in New Orleans.). The idea of getting an email from space is incredible. It is one thing to know an astronaut and quite another to get an email FROM SPACE.

Most American don’t know who this guy is. Honestly, I would not have either if it hadn’t been for Nancy. This got me thinking. Remember the days when the principle herded us elementary kids into the cafeteria to watch the space capsule come back to earth? (Okay, you whippersnapper. This was in the 60’s and I’m showing my age.) The tiny funnel-shaped craft, half the size of VW and with as much space inside as a glovebox, plummeted into the ocean often miles away from the recovery ship. For what seemed like hours we sat there watching the black and white television as Walter Cronkite walked us through the recovery. We all prayed (yup, prayed in school, God help us.) that the mission would be successful and completed before we had to climb onboard the yellow school bus to head for home where in my family there wasn't a TV.

In the days of the early missions, great attention and national importance was given to a program that launched monkeys, dogs and chimps into space. They had names and we knew the names of the Chimps—Ham and Enos. Wrote children books about them. And 40 plus years later we don’t know who is up there, what they did and when they came back. (They do howeer carry the landings live in Florida on the local stations.)

A lot has changed in our world. But from space, incredibly our planet still looks pretty much the same and the Maker hasn’t changed. And we still debate the means, but the truth never changes.

No comments: