Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pau Hana

My aunt and uncle arranged for a presentation at their West Maui Book Club. I wasn’t sure what I should talk about. (Yeah I know, the book, stupid.) There was interest in the joys of self-publishing. My aunt and uncle set about marketing the presentation by contacting several local papers and weekly flyers on the west side of Maui. I think we all expected a front page article with color photo. Big Island author that I am, and everything!

I donated several books to the Hawaii Library system to circulate among the club members so they could quiz me about my sanity, which always seems to be the subject of curious readers of the Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin.

A couple of days before leaving for Hawaii I dug out past presentations and glued a few bits and pieces together and added some original thoughts. During the week I glanced at the pages to be sure I could remember most of what I wanted to say without reading text. I hate sitting through presentations where the speakers read. My uncle thought I was going to deliver a sermon. Maybe one day.

There were probably fifteen people at the event. More than I expected. I sold six books, far more than I expected as the usual course of economics works out to be 1 sale/hr. That’s about $10.00 an hour, or so I tell myself. So it was by far a record breaking event.

I keep eyeballing the cruise ships in the harbor. Maybe I can put on a muumuu and a funny weave hat, sport a tattoo and hawk my book down at the wharf.

“Hey Lady. You got a permit for that?”

No comments: