Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Hawaii Republican Caucus

Today was the first time Hawaii's Republicans went to the polls to determine how the spoils of the state get divvied out. At stake are 20 delegates, of which three remain at large. It was kind of a marketing ploy among the party, but without much marketing. Granted without TV or radio I have heard very little about the caucus. Nevertheless, I managed to find the where’s and the when’s. The predicted statewide turnout was to be 6000 in a state as blue as its Pacific coastline on a sunny day.

I was excited and nervous. I've never participated in a caucus before. It made me recall the very first time I voted. The year 1972. Eighteen year olds would vote in a presidential election. Okay I voted for McGovern. Just goes to show that eighteen year olds have no business voting.

This afternoon, due to logistics with my Dad and sister’s visit, I found myself at the polling place at 5pm. Polling didn’t start until 6pm. So I was first in line, first to sign in, first to cast my vote and by 6:05pm I felt I just got ripped off.

I expected an Iowa-style caucus. Instead got a high-school style vote. Check the box on a slip of paper, fold it in half and stuff in the cardboard box. What happened to the speeches made on behalf of the candidate? The first, second, third rounds of voting? People switching candidates after each vote? Counting the ballots and announcing the winner? Or do they just do this in Iowa? Or maybe they don’t and somewhere I got the wrong impression about good old citizenry.

After all these months attention on the primaries I stood before the ballot box with a slip of paper in hand. Four options and one write-in space. The final four stared back at me. I have seen no political ads, heard no robo-calls, had no fliers stuff in my door or campaign signs staked in the ground. We are having a Presidential election right? I know this is Obama’s home state. I know only 20 delegates are up for grabs. But still.

I stepped out of the school cafeteria five minutes after I went in. I had expected to be there until 8 PM. A long line snaked through the courtyard. Yes, there was a crowd. I was the first of that crowd and that did not disappoint me.

You might hear of the results tomorrow, a small footnote after Alabama and Mississippi ignored the southern boy and went sweater vest. Mitt had been predicted to take the Aloha State. My entrance poll, discussions with people standing in line waiting to vote, indicted that wasn’t going down in Kona-town.

No comments: