Sunday, July 09, 2006

I Have Books

I won’t make a very good famous person, because I get too excited about almost nothing. My books came two weeks ahead of the expected delivery date. I was so excited about it I took ten books down to the Farmers Market expecting to sell them and was told no. Not to be deterred I took my whole display down to the Market on Saturday while the vendors were setting up and again was told no. Well carp. Before, I was an author without a book. Now I am an author without a venue. If I was a famous person, I’d have a venue and I’d be really excited.

This week, after I give a deposition for a dispute of the past—not book related—I am going to hit two book stores, two coffee shops and maybe a bank. Hmm, I don’t mean I am going to rob them, but approach them for a book signing. I’ll also go back to the Saratoga Arts Council to see if I can participate in an Art Show in Congress Park. I have already been told no. (Yeah, doesn’t sound like I have a good trend going.) No matter, as it is too early to quite.

Oh yeah, I am going to see if I can sneak into the Saratoga County Fair.

I feverously worked on sending out books to twenty-seven book stores in New England and Long Island. And I have filled the orders of those who ordered paperbacks. Although I have planned what I wanted to right as a personalized autographed message to each person, it did not prevent me from working up a sweat of concern and nerves that I was going to mess up a book. What will I be like when I sign my first book at a book signing? How do you spell Sue?

My finger is healing nicely, although I have a half inch sore with dead skin remaining. My sister, who is not a doctor, scared me with stories of her stitches growing into her skin and when removed hurt really badly. She asked me if my stitches were loose. I said, “No.” She thought I had them in too long. So the next day I took scissors and tweezers to the black nylon and played Nurse Valerie. The surgery was successful and my sliced finger seemed to be holding together until I took a shower. That was three days ago. Now it looks like I won’t even have a scar (clean cut,) and since the finger is no longer numb, I think I’ll have a full recovery. Just like a gecko replacing its tail!

No comments: