Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Under Consideration

My book tour begins August 1 in Rockport Massachusetts. I have already heard from one book store, Toad Hall Bookstore. Their calendar is full. This information is not a huge set back, but an excuse to see the marinas and resort hotels. Toad Hall had seemed like a perfect place to begin since the captain of the Cosmic Muffin tended to be a toad.

Unless I get the RV out of the shop, I’ll be touring in a Jeep with 307,000 miles and living single tent. Sounds homeless to me, especially if I take the cats. My dad is getting frustrated with the Toyota dealer. They supposedly are working on the manifold. It has been two weeks. Time to Fold-A-Man–that is kick butt.

I did not go door to door today, unless I count knocking on the door of Ben and Jerry’s in Saratoga. After cruising by the ice cream shoppe on my way to the Saratoga Public Library to beg for a presentation (it is under consideration), I noticed that there is a rather large and shaded seating area outside the shoppe. On a summer evening, they get busy. What a nice place to set up and sell books. So I went into ask. The young girl behind the counter, although she was the assistant manager, was not in position to make the call. Recognizing the need for the manager who was not on site, she gave me a pad of paper to write him a note. “Dear Patrick,” I began…(it is under consideration).

To be honest, I have stayed away from the Big Boys – Borders and Barnes & Noble. With press kit in hand, I ventured out. After all, I have not had much success with the alternative venues, but I have not stood on a street corner with a sign saying, “Author – has book. Will sell for food.” At least not yet. So I hit the book stores—those intimidating places with 45,000 plus new titles on their shelves and more employees than people I have sold books to.

What happened? Crystal at Barnes & Noble was helpful and said they would consider me for a local author event scheduled September 12. At Borders the District Manager, Michelle, was not in, but returned my call, and later emailed the guidelines for author book signings. Once she gets that info it takes at least six weeks for a decision, and it is “don’t call us, we’ll call you.” Meanwhile, I am sending my information to Borders in Ann Arbor to be considered for national distribution. Can’t get them local – go national.

Rob called me today to tell me he received his book. Not being a reader, he surprised himself by cruising pleasantly through the first 100 pages. He said I exceeded his expectations and Rob’s standards are high. He went on to say that if people will read my book, their lives will be touched and changed. I did not write the book for that purpose, but if that happens, well then God truly has used me for His purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»