Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Blind Cat

When I arrived home after 17 days in Europe I was happy to see Phoenix and Diablo. They circled my legs like two little sharks investigating the new smells and wondering if there was anything good to eat. Croissants maybe? But the Booter Cat was no where to be found. She didn’t come when called and food sat in her dish.

After two cruises through the basement, searching every nook and cranny I found her stumbling out from beneath the sewing machine. Her eyes were dilated and smoky. I immediately knew something was wrong. I carried her upstairs and determined that her vision was severely compromised. The seventeen year old cat couldn’t see much of anything. She stood gazing up at the ceiling lights, noticing the motion of someone walking between her and the light. Things were not good.

She howled the next two nights, disoriented and confused. Jennifer suspected high blood pressure had detached the retinas and on Tuesday this was confirmed by an ophthalmologist in Latham, New York.

She has been on thyroid medication for years. Hyper. The vet prescribed medication to lower the blood pressure, but did not promise that the eyesight would return. The right eye’s retina had completely detached. Some promise was offered for the left eye as it had only blistered.

Booter seems to be adjusting to the limited vision. Just two days on the medication, I have noticed a slight improvement in her vision as this afternoon she followed the comb I used on her coat.

She continues to eat well, enjoying nothing but canned cat food. Phoenix and Diablo mill about her bowl waiting for me to slip up and forget to pick it up once Booter finishes.

No comments: