Friday, June 27, 2008

Seasonal Changes

You could've fool me that summer would finally arrive in Upstate New York. Outside of the biting insects.
For the past several weeks, I’ve been surveying the black cap berry crop. The little clumps of pricker bushes are having a banner spring growing along the roadsides in Wilton. The wet and cooler temperatures had plumped the tiny fruit. They are just coming into season. I gathered a handful this morning coming up Gailor Road where a patch grows in a well sunned spot (Check it out on Google Earth.) and I left a half cup in a dish for dad to have with his breakfast.

The mulberry tree near the old school house holds a treasure of dark berries which are beginning to stain the road. However, I can’t figure out what to do with them. I’ve check mom’s old recipe books. I even went on line to FoodTV. Only found two recipes there and one was for Foie Gras with Caramelized Fruits. Well, if I can’t pronounce it or spell it, I sure ain’t going to eat it, let alone make it. I don’t even know where to find it in Publics. Would it be in the produce, the meat or the dairy section? Could be in the cereal aisle for all I know.

I have been exposed by my ignorance. Anyway, recipes welcomed. No wine.

One of the neighbors flagged me down as I was walking just fast enough to stay ahead of the pesky horse flies (a dead run). She asked if I wanted some rhubarb. She must have been reading my mind (not the stuff about the horse flies, I hope). I was wondering where I could snag some. I cut and bagged about twelve cups before putting it into the freezer.

Mom could make a killer pie. I rummaged through her recipes for rhubarb pie and found a few others of interest tucked away in the stained boxes above the stove. The last time the flour was used I made Christmas cookies two years ago. I decided to pick up a sack. Not thinking, I left it out on the counter. Imagine what a cat looks like after she's "inspected" the package.

Stupid cat. I don’t understand why they don't write a blog. Probably because I haven’t written a book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd cherish your Mom's rhubarb pie recipe, Valerie, if you'd like to share it! (I'd share it with my sisters, too.) I have been planning to try and make one this summer for my husband (his mom made a killer one, too, but we don't have the recipe). So did my grandmother...but I don't have that recipe, either. But the rhubarb is starting to come in in AK. Time to figure it out. Your mom's is the gold standard, of course.
As for mulberries....we never could come up with a good recipe for them. They seem best just eaten out of the hand, straight of the tree, warmed by the sun.....kind of gooey....hard to cook with? What about muffins? Thanks for all the European trip posts and your Washington DC trip. Sounds really special. Julie in AK