Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Question


This has been turning over in my brain ever since I read Eleanor Roosevelt’s quote. “Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer was I worth dying for?”

For His Son I was worth dying for. And for that sacrifice I am forever grateful.  

On this Memorial Day Weekend I ask: did those who went to war and paid with the ultimate sacrifice die for me? Did they go off to war for me, the one who enjoys the life, the liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Or did the soldier die to defend, protect and preserve the Constitution which sanctifies my God given rights as an individual equal among all others? 

It is a noble cause to die for another and many have done so, but I say the soldier died to uphold the Constitution, to preserve the country under which it was founded.  That was what I swore to do when I served.    

No man should die for another as no man should be in bondage to another.  By no means do I say to neglect a moral obligation to another. I talk of war. However, we are all equal in what was freely given to us by the Creator.  Let all men take up arms to protect what each man was given so that another does not steal his rights.

When men unite in limited government to insure their personal liberties and freedom they assume a responsibility to defend the bond that they made which secured their rights. That is what we shall die for. That is what they died for.

But for another man to die for me, I think not. Die for my country, my Constitution and the principles and values she holds. Not for me, for I too shall be in battle. That is my responsibility as a soldier and as a citizen.

No comments: