Thursday, February 15, 2007

Book Buzz

Look at something cool. Click on this link - logbord. It is exposure. I would prefer English, but what the heck. I wanted to email the place, but couldn’t figure out what to click on. I found this link when I did a search for Cosmic Muffin at blogger.com.

And then there is Amazon Japan!

This piece of advice was found on the current The Book Marketing Expert (mini) Newsletter. It was item number 8 in the list of 10 things to do now that you are published. “Get your book reviewed. Maybe this sounds like a no-brainer yet you’d be amazed how many authors forget this step, but it’s important and here’s why: people like what other people like. What someone else says about your book is a thousand times more effective than anything you could say. Do reviews sell books? Well, yes I believe they do, and here’s why: if your book is up on Amazon or some other online portal and no one’s talking about it, a potential new reader might not be motivated to buy. Readers rarely buy “naked” books.”

I was surfing through blogs the other night and came across a couple of mentions of the Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin. Glenda Larke’s blog’s entry titled Want Review Anyone goes on…

"Amazon now has a Print On Demand division, called Booksurge. and Booksurge offers - for a mere a $US 399, a wonderful book review. It doesn't matter what your book is like, the review is gonna be great. (For that price, it had better be.)

Of course, I immediately thought "Just what I need". I mean, how could one resist such deathless prose as this:

"We are drawn into this seaboard existence, seeing the stars pronging the sails at night, the flying fish that land on deck, and even the birds that fly, unaware, into the mast," offered by the reviewer about a book called The Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin. "

Glenda, it is all about promotion, promotion and more promotion. Book marketing is all about creating a buzz. Thank you. While a review is a review - a good review doesn't hurt. Was it worth it? Well, I have found several blogs talking about my book, The Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin. Pick up a copy from my site and do your own review. I won't pay you for it so feel free to provide your candid and honest opinion.

Glenda goes on… “Now let me think. If I was a POD author, just how many copies of my book would I have to think such a review would sell in order for me to get my $399 back?

And readers, if you buy a book based on a paid-for review, then I have a lovely set of twin-towers for sale, situated at the present moment in downtown Kuala Lumpur, but easily portable to a new location, bargain price...drop me an email. Don't be put off by the fact that I live in Nigeria.”


Ouch Glenda – the wit of an environmentalist wacko.

No comments: