Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hippo

Maybe it was brought on by the unknown beast that lurks in the walls, crawls through the vents and poops under the tub in the bathroom. Whatever it is, it has the strictest attention of Phoenix and Diablo. I haven’t been too concerned about the scurrying noises I have heard. Most of the time the two cats are in close proximity, but lately I have gone looking for the missing felines to find them patiently sitting in the bathroom facing the wall behind the toilet or peering through the slats of the air vent in the closet. But it might be playing subconsciously on my mind.

I had a dream. I was lying in a bed in the bedroom of a Tudor-style house built on the shores of a beautiful shallow lake. From the window I had a panoramic view of the water where small boats sailed across the way. On the near shore which was right outside the window stood a low black rock retaining wall. A disturbance on the water caused the boats to change their course. Suddenly a hippo rose out of the water and came crashing over the wall and through the window sending broken glass across the room. Its huge pink mouth gaped before me, leaving hippo slobber all over my face. The hippo head thrashed so close I could see the hair follicles around its stubby snout and nostrils. Its fat legs kicked into the room and I knew I was going to be trampled if not gored to death on its ugly yellow stained teeth. I woke up and found a heavy cat sitting on my chest waiting for her breakfast.

No comments: