Friday, February 16, 2007

Raptor

Its powerful wings beat the surface of the water. The great fish eating bird of prey looked like it was trying to avoid its own drowning. Either that or the osprey was taking a bird bath in the canal outside my condo’s sliding glass door. Moments after I saw it in the water and before I could get up to go “rescue” the drowning bird (Now how in the hell that was going to happen, I don’t know.) it lifted its brown and white body from the water, a large silver fish captured in its talons. With water dripping from feathers and fins the medium sized raptor took to the air and disappeared only to be seen circling even higher moments later. Wow! Maybe one day I’ll catch its dive into the water.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

darryl SWEARS he saw one of these this afternoon in worcester. i told him he saw an ostrich.

Valerie Perez said...

maybe he saw an emu