Saturday, November 03, 2007

All in A Week

Noel hopefully ends the hurricane season in the Atlantic, but it is about to unleash a NorthEast’er on New England. Grab your trees. The leaves in Edgewood Cemetary, Hudson, NH were peaked last weekend. If they haven't fallen, there could be some serious uprooting.

Back in Tarpon Springs...our first fall weather. I noticed a pile of water oak acorns squished by car tires in the parking lot. Humidity dropped as the winds have been coming straight from the north all week. This was why Noel kept off the Florida’s East Coast and earlier out of the Gulf. Diablo went under cover and the hot water is back on in the shower. Blue sky, sunny, pleasant temps aren't the only thing that arrived on the north wind. Snow birds have returned, packing the shopping malls, roads, swimming pools and restaurants for the early bird specials. I ask myself, "Why not stay?"

Ah Florida: Flat, flat Florida. The land of retirement communities, mobile home parks, minimum wage jobs and a stupid property tax structure which the state is desperately trying to reform as the price of real estate drops further than the belly of a pregnant sow. (I was going to use the dog word, but decided that was too easy.) It’s why I’m not buying.

Yet, I have found a few good friends, writing buddies, a church.

While I am considering plans and checking out options for the upcoming year or two, at fifty three you would think I’d know life doesn’t always go as planned. What's that line? Life is what happens to you when you're making plans? Is that from the Beatles or the Stones?

Actually, that is okay. It is part of the fun, the adventure, the experience. I accept I am not in control. However, I have a powerful arsenal for adaptation and acceptance once I get past the shock, the anger, the fear and apathy.

There are still twenty seven more days to the hurricane season.

If this was too cryptic...wait.

No comments: