Monday, November 05, 2007

Begin Here

Today is the day that begins the rest of your life. A simple statement that rings truer on some days more than others.

My father, accompanied by my older brother Mike and my two sisters, Robin and Jennifer, sat with Doctor Maddox to discuss the results of his bone scan. The test was done last week after a biopsy showed Dad had prostate cancer.

Cancer, that word that stabs fear into the hearts of those who have sat across the desk from their doctors dressed in white lab coats to present the diagnoses to their patients. We fear cancer more than God.

Dr. Maddox call Dad on Saturday while I was in New Hampshire making mwarmwars for Jerry and Jess. Aggressive. Could be in the bones. "It's news. What are you going to do?" Dad said.

2 PM. I was in the pool. Do one lap. Breathe. Four strokes and breath again. Do sixty more laps. He braced for the results; I held my breath. The cancer is found in the bones – pelvis and perhaps the ribs, but that could be a war wound or arthritis. Tomorrow an X-ray. Treatment: Nothing or hormones. Exhale.

I had twenty six cents and rock in my pocket when Robin told me the news. I watched the fiery sun fall into the Gulf and missed sailing.

Options. Options. We all want options. At eighty four, you don’t get too many. And doctors don’t make too many promises either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this news yesterday, and you have all been on my mind. So sorry to hear about your dad. I thought, however, about the kayak and how you both had repaired it and launched it this summer and was happy you had done this together. I will be thinking of the Perez Family......Love from Julie

Valerie Perez said...

Julie,
It is difficult to express the deep joy and gratitude I have felt this week knowing the number of people who have kept Dad in their thoughts and prayers.

I sincerely thank you.

All the more reason to keep plugging away on the novel titled The Kayak
Valerie