Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Alive

The day was about done. Rays of light shone through the clouds that did not bring the predicted rain. Even washing my Jeep didn’t bring it forth. Yes, my Jeep. When the gasket to the valve cover is put correctly into place, it is amazing how much oil it won’t leak. I cleaned the thick film of dirty oil off the rear hatch and window using the car wash setting for degreasing the tires. My Jeep shined almost like new and together we rolled down 11E toward Knoxville, through the valley between the Smokies and Clinch Mountain.

I felt different than I had all week and I wondered why. I had spent three days doing yard work – trimmed hedges, pulled vines that ran up the vinyl siding, sprayed weeds, hacked grass (because I don’t mow grass), raked up the fall and winter debris and of course my own mess after I cut the hedges back. I fixed the weed whacker, removed a ceiling fan, installed a new light, and composed and delivered an ultimatum letter to my troublesome tenant who avoided me like the landlord I am.

In a last ditch effort to get him to contact me for a discussion I left a message that I wanted to inspect his place and gave him the 24 hour notice my lease requires (in Tennessee, I don’t have to give notice.). It was like fishing; he took the bait and I set up an “appointment” to see him tomorrow afternoon.

So I was feeling good about that opportunity to seek some sort of resolution. I also felt pretty good about riding in my Jeep again and the small fact I don’t need to buy a new car and the repairs only cost $171. I had seen my financial planner this morning for the bad news, but it turned not so bad and I had more funds than I thought and I got some cash which we planned to keep liquid because this time next year I’m going to have a whopper of a bill (This year I only owe Uncle Sam $564, and $339 to his cousin, Tennessee. Owe and pay means the same thing here, so that was another good reason for my feeling. And just think once I get my stimulus package from the government I'll be head of the game...stupid government.). I also had a little quality time with David, former business partner, who I don’t get to see or talk to that much anymore.

But still, I wasn’t satisfied with any of these reasons for the “I feel so high” feeling. The morning’s I cappuccino from Pilot (Tennessee gas company) had long worn off so that didn’t explain anything either.

Listen. The radio. Praise music. Oh no, You never let go, through the calm and through the storm. Yep. God loves me. I had found a station playing that familiar music I love, reminding me that I have nothing without Him and I have everything with Him.

Oh yeah, I was cruising down the road in my Jeep, with the windows rolled down enjoying the warmth of springtime in the south. Makes me feel alive!

No comments: