Saturday, March 01, 2008

Staple Gun

I’m now a proud owner of a staple gun. A heavy duty one too. You move to Hawaii and it is one of the necessary items to purchase.

There is a mosquito flying around here. Bit me twice. Wait until I get him with my new staple gun.

Honestly, I’ve been looking at furniture and my budget all week. The two don’t match. Sure it is now March first and my condo fees are paid up to date and my rent moneys should be coming in any day now, so one would think I’d have a little bit of cash to buy a nice couch to replace the blue sort-of-kind-of-day-bed with blue stripes in what will be my office. The piece looks like it belongs in a Cape Cod beach house or a Florida sunroom or a college dorm.

I’m going for a Southeast Asian with southwest native American style for my island abode. Sounds awful and no one can every accuse me of having a flair for décor. Remember I once lived in Florida for five years with a buffalo skull and a bike in my living. A futon was the only piece of furniture I had and my TV stand was the very box it came in.

My objective this week was to set up my office. I didn’t come close, but I did identify and order a desk enclosed in an armoire. Set up for a computer desk top, it comes with two filing drawer, a place for a printer and paper, and shelf space for books. No particular board in this thing either. Finished in black it should pop in the room with walls of butter, the light wood bamboo floor and my Indich Volcano Rust rug, hand woven in Nepal.

My Navajo rugs and buffalo skull will go nicely in the room. But then there is the matter of the blue one armed settee. This is where the staple gun comes in handy.

Ten yards of fabric, a little strong adhesive and a staple gun. Wa-lah.

I’ll bring the pillow fabric home to New York to sew the covers. I might even attempt the cover for the mattress. Right now it is a fitted sheet. Wouldn’t be so bad if I can measure everything right. Lord knows I hate sewing. But boy, I loved the staple gun.

And in the end, lots cheaper than buying a new couch. Now if I can get a couple of pallets. I could make a book shelf.

No comments: