Saturday, May 02, 2009

Chillin'

Just when I was getting kind of spoiled, pretending I was standing in a pine forest of the Adirondacks when I was actually in the middle of a hot flash and standing directly in front of the air conditioner, which resembles a vintage R2D2 of the Star Wars movies, it choked, kicked a little and quite spitting cold air on my sweltering body. What the heck?

I turned around to notice one red-eye blinking LED. A series of thirteen highly pitched beeps came crying out of my little machine. Alright already.

I snatched up the remote control and punched some buttons. No response. I know nothing about air conditioning systems. This little thing is on wheels and attached to the window by way of a hose similar to a clothes drier. How complicated could it be? I whirled my nonresponsive robot around to examine its backside.

At the bottom, in fine print, never noticed in the 16 months that I have owned the thing (just goes to show how much I don’t use it) I saw directions about draining the compressor. Hum?

I wasn’t going to fall for that trick, so I went to the kitchen and got the oven’s roasting pan out (also something I have owned for 16 months and have never used) and placed it near the drain nozzle, which can be hooked up to a hose, but in this case isn't. Seems to me I have seen that hose around someplace?

My little robot did his business in the pan. I patted him on the head. Such a good housebroken unit. Once the plug was back in place I fired him up and he went back to humming away cooling the condo to 82.

No comments: