Tuesday, May 05, 2009

D.C. Newman Collins

It just took two years to get up the nerve to experiment with the design of my blog. I was scared to death I’d lose something or get trapped in a position where I got so confused about the code that I couldn’t go forward or backwards. Hung out in no man's land without a blog or pieces of a blog.

I experimented with two of my other blogs. I figured Phoenix and Diablo would not be any of the wiser if I messed up their blog. My only worry was that Diablo is Twittering and has forty followers (I have eight. Stupid cat.) and she might get a little upset if I screwed it up. But I figured she is in New York and I’m in Hawaii so what could she do to me? Scatch me?

I had to do some research on the how to’s and found better information at Bloggers’ community pages than in the site's information pages. This is always the case. Next I had to design a background, so that meant whipping out my Abode Photoshop skills. My skills are not that sharp, kind of like cutting a tomato with a table knife. After a few attempts I began to get the rust off the blade.

Now that it is done I discovered I need to change the vertical banner. Bound needs a capital B. Later.

For extra practice, I fooled around with my ValeriePerez blog site. Not to be confused with ValeriePerez website, which will be a whole other block of time to be consumed. (I should be cleaning, packing and writing.)

I kept searching my photos for a good background photo. Couldn’t find the perfect one, until I stumbled on a painting by D. C. Newman Collins, titled Sail Boating. I like the picture. D.C. Newman Collins (1865-1953) was an accomplished civil engineer and architect. He studied art in Philadelphia as a young man and became gifted in painting, drawing, woodworking, metalworking, and photography.

Making the changes to this site was a little more complicated than SouthBound Cats and Valerie Perez. The layout is different and required more that one line of code changes. A little trial and error and few more adjustments to the JPEG files and Ta-Da.

I hope you like.

Check out South Bound Cats. And if you twitter, follow me or follow Diablo. She has more time to waste than me.

2 comments:

Kailua Mike said...

Nice work on your blog page. I'll follow your page as I have concluded Twittering is a waste of time and serves little earthly purpose...but then that's just one man's opinion.

No offense, Diablo.

Valerie Perez said...

Diablo has managed 46 followers as of this morning. I have no idea what she is doing at night. Guess I better get back to NY and pay attention. Good thing she is fixed.