Monday, April 01, 2013

The Story of Luke



The following is an unpaid semi-commercial advertisement.

I am inviting you to see the movie called The Story of Luke, a comedy about a young man with autism who is on a quest for a job and a girlfriend.  This movie will be showing around the country in theaters on April 4 and 5.And on iTunes in your home!

For several months the movie has been shown at film festivals nationally as well as internationally. It has won numerous best film and audience choice awards. I’ve seen the trailer, but not the movie. I warn you if you see the trailer you will want to see the movie. Here is a little I-knew-you-when background story. 

Alonso Mayo, the writer and director of the Story of Luke is a friend of mine. I met Alonso when we were participating on a month long Outward Bound Trek in Chile in 1999-2000. At the time it was the most physically and mentally demanding experience in which I ever participated. The days were long. The treks grueling. We carried 60 pound packs.  At the end of a day we would drag ourselves in to camp exhausted, hungry, wet and cold.  Sometimes I needed a hug and Alonso could be counted on for a comforting hug. During one multi-cultural event I remember thinking, “Here I am at the turn of the millennium. An American woman dancing to Mapuche music with  Alonso, a young man from Peru, somewhere in the middle of Chile.”  Yeah, that was an once-in-a-lifetime event.

During the course he received a notice that his mother because of her work with special needs children was being honored by the Queen of Spain. After much deliberation on whether to leave the course and go to Spain he decided to stay.  Like the thirteen of us on course, he wanted to summit Osorno, a beautiful glacier covered mountain in southern Chile.  I felt he should have seen his mother get the award, but that wasn’t my choice. I supported his.

Sometimes climbing mountains is like the things we do in life - we don't succeed. Our first attempt at the mountain was not successful. All I could think of was how this kid (Yes, he was.) would miss out on meeting the queen and failing to summit. On our second attempt we prevailed. He was ecstatic.  Hell, I was too.

Since then this talented young man has gotten married, became the father of two beautiful children and attended The American Film Institute. His thesis film, Wednesday Afternoon was the Winner of 2008 Student Academy Award.  Look closely at the credits and you will find my name, the proudest moment in my short-lived film industry career.

When I visited Peru I spent the night with his mother and grandfather. He asked me what I wanted to do in Lima. I only had one day there so I left it up to him as to what would be the best cultural experience. He said it would be crowded so instructed me to carry no wallet, no money or jewelry.  That was disconcerting. I would be ID-less in a foreign country in a city of millions. Alonso took me to the procession where Catholics amassed in the narrow streets of Lima to see and pray to the Black Jesus statue as it passed through the streets. Women wept and some crawled on their hands and knees behind the statue.  The crowd was so dense, I could have lifted my feet off the ground and  would have been swept away in the moving tide. 

The last time I saw Alonso, I was headed back to Micronesia and the Peace Corps. I stopped in Los Angeles. He felt it was a critical time in his life. He had to get a film made.

Well he has.  So I invite you to see it.  Here’s the info links for the movie and for my friend, Alonso Mayo. If you live in one of the cities listed on the website, by all means treat yourself to this movie.If you can't make it several cable and iTunes are also showing it.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

Lydia Fiedler said...

Wow - that story gave me the chills. I will see if it's playing here!

You live such an interesting life.

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog