Sunday, January 28, 2007

Key Largo

“When your head says one thing and your whole life says another, your head always loses.” Frank McCloud

What about the heart? Doesn’t that influence the outcome?

The Keys did not start looking like my 1948 Key Largo image of the Keys until I reached Long Key. And like the movie, a storm is coming. It is blowing a good one. A cold front sweeping down. It is like I had one tied to my Jeep’s bumper and I dragged it all the way down from New York. In South Florida, it could go as low as the upper forties. A good night to keep your Indians on the front porch.

There is a windblock for my campsite, but there is no doubt that the winds are strong and kicking up white caps on the Gulf. Once I parked my jeep, immediately I appreciated the living offered by the RV. No refrigerator to plug in, radio to tune in, no stove to cook a bowl of soup and no lights after sundown. No heater. No cat to keep me warm. I just brought the tent, sleeping bag and pad with me. I won’t pitch the tent, but sleep in the back of the jeep. Warmer, I think.

Florida verses Hawaii. For the most part, it is warmer in Hawaii.

No comments: