Saturday, January 13, 2007

Last Photo

Dad usually makes a point of shooting a photo or two whenever I’m about to hit the road. His "one for the road". In July the morning I left on the book tour for The Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin he got out the little instamatic camera to take a photo of me in front of the RV. As we headed out the door he took a photo of Mom and me. Of all the photos Dad took on the roll, many of flowers found in his flower beds and hanging pots, this was the only one that wasn’t focused. It was the last photo of me with Mom, taken on the last day I would ever see her as my Mom.

Last night I sat on the bed holding an old photo of Mom and her two sisters. I don't know how old she was in the studio photo. It captured her youth, her dreams, her promised future...an innocent time for the three young girls captured in black and white.

Photos never reveal what is ahead. They hold moments paused as a memory. In the photo of Mom and her sisters I will never know what memories mom had of that time. In the photo of Mom with her daughter, I know she had a lot of faith and confidence in my summer's adventure.

No comments: