Monday, September 15, 2008

Deep into September

Seems like yesterday I was comparing the handicappers’ picks with the last minute view of the horses' feet. Would I go with a long shot, a modest favorite or a sure thing, which everyone knows is anything but? It took a few days to understand that picking horses to entertain and enlighten patrons so inclined to ask a security guard, is different than selecting the ponies because…well, I don’t know why. But, I soon lost interest in reading the racing sheets on Belmont in the newspaper. A few familiar names - the jockeys and the horses couldn't keep my attention to the results. A couple of times I pretended to place a six dollar bet across the board on each race and the best I could do was lose seventy-five cents after nine races. It wasn’t worth the effort.

I needed a better way to add to my Hawaiian kitty, which is now zero because I paid my taxes. I trudged across Massachusetts to scrap paint at my sister’s house. She offered $12.00 an hour and I jumped all over it, knowing it would be twelve in my pocket, nothing to Uncle Sam and whomever the uncles are in The Bay State and back in New York. I did expect to pay $50.00 in gas, and began to fret the decision to drive three hours when Ike spiked gas prices. Fortunately, gas is cheaper in Worcester than Saratoga, so the modest bump in price didn't explode my financal planning.

Now we’re negotiating in pottery. She’s got some pretty awesome stuff lying around the living room floor, pre-staging for the art show in Littleton, New Hampshire next weekend. Some stuff would go well as accent in my Hawaii condo. I’d rather commission for sconces, but she is an artist making what inspires her with little regard of for making a sale.

For more examples of her work, check out her website at Luna House

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great picture - thanks!