Friday, September 26, 2008

Screwed

Did you wake up this morning not feeling so good about something? Harbored deep inside a feeling that something wasn’t fair? You played by the rules. You flossed your teeth every before going to bed, not just the week before your dental cleaning. You bought Girl Scout cookies not because you liked them, but because you supported the cause. You picked turtles out of the road so they wouldn’t get crushed. And you when a homeless man asked you for spare change, instead of sticking him with an Obama campaign pin, you handed him the two carryout boxes full of leftovers from the Italian restaurant that you planned to eat for dinner the following night.

And when it came to paying your bills, you never bought anything on a credit card you couldn’t payoff at the next billing cycle. And every month you paid the mortgage, on time and in full, on the house you intended to live in, patiently expecting the value to increase over the life of the mortgage, not greedily expecting it to balloon by the end of the week.

What happens to you in the proposed bailout? You watched the value of your home tick southward as foreclosed signs popped up on the neighbors' lawns like mushrooms after a fall rain. Yet every month you signed the check to pay the loan you took out after putting a hard saved twenty percent down. You are the good guy about to be left on the curb with the recyclables. Feeling green huh?

Okay, you hate the banks, the mortgage companies, the investors who stole your American Dream. You don’t want to see these predators walk scot-free. “Make them pay,” you think. But you know too well that what is being saved, is the “way of life”, that economy that let you down when you played by the rules.

Is that worth saving?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bet it is worth saving our way of life.

I'm sick of the contentious squabbling of our political party heads...like a bunch of spoiled brats. Gamesmanship and spiraling oneupsmanship are the order of the day...kick them all out of office and maybe, just maybe we can elect leaders who really give a damn for "we the people" instead of their selfish self interests.

The constant haggling does nothing but torture our ears...nobody is giving leadership...certainly not the Democrats nor the Republicans.

I'm headed for the beach to stick my head in the sand...right after I send a few blistering missives to my congressmen.

Anonymous said...

It makes me sick when the people when the people who latched on to sub-prime mortgages because the great American give-away party got some stuff passed by congress that made them look good and assured unqualified people should all have homes of their own. Now we pay the piper and who gets blamed - the most recent fox in the chicken yard, not the one who opened the gate (read Bill Clinton) who bragged about how good he was to the poor folks. I have no sympathy for people who live way beyond their means and think that Papa (the Dems) will cover their extravagances.

What's bothering me the most is I feel like I'm paddling up-stream and I have NO CONTROL over what happens in Washington and yet that is what affects my life the most! I really feel that the entitlement mentality of the American people is the most serious cancer we have growing in America!

That's all for now as my blood-pressure is rising to 120/76 and for me that's too high. I'll calm down and just say "Well, that's the way it goes" (said in high squeaky voice!).

Valerie Perez said...

I've been firing off emails to my rep and senators and while I was add it I did the same thing to dad's, with his permission. I feel some hope now that it hasn't totally been rammed down my thoat. I'm hearing talk about insurance and having wall street buy it, not me. I truly have not slept well since last week, and have woken each morning with that sick feeling that something terrible is happening and I have little control. I search the Internet looking for other "expert" views trying to understand what Congress is trying to do and how it hurts me. Even downloaded the entire proposal (42 pages) last night. What a crock.

Dad is in disbelief that things could be as bad as the Great Depression - he'd seen it once in his life time...how could it happen again? And all the while that stupid idiot from Iran is running about NYC getting on Larry King and going to "church suppers."

God Almighty, I pray HE doesn't leave me.

Anonymous said...

if it truly is another great depression dad's got half a chance. me, none. but i havent lost any sleep over that. the honda getting its window smashed and my purse stolen - now that required two nights of ambien. (ps- dont tell dad)
the thing i worry about - what if we couldnt afford to take care of the kitties. THAT would break my heart.

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap.... Get on the ball to protect your ID.

And given the number of chipmunks in the yard, hell, none of us will starve.