Friday, August 01, 2008

Feet

I correctly suspected I’d never make it to 8 PM if I got up at 6 AM and went for my morning run. After standing all afternoon my legs and knees feel pretty stiff. But after a week, the legs are getting stronger and the toes not so tender. I’ve been running around in Chacos for the past several months so when it came to cramming my feet into a pair of black leather steel-toed shoes, purchased fifteen years ago in my former life as a Director for Human Resources with AmeriSteel, the ten little Indians rebelled. (The real question is after all these years why did I still have those shoes? Answer: Remember that trip to Knoxville I didn't tell you about?)

Pay day was yesterday. A few of my co-workers grumbled about the amount of taxes deducted from their hard earned wages. It was a bite that included a chunk to pay for my NY security license. This gave me an opportunity to remind them who to vote for in November. None took the bait to discuss the finer points of Obama and the coming of ObamaNation. Maybe after next week’s paycheck I’ll find it worthwhile to take a trip into town to deposit them in the bank. Meanwhile I’ve just folded and tucked them into the nightstand draw.

Routine is taking place. As a relief person I worked out an informal schedule to cover the crew for breaks. For some reason we had an extra person on the bridal path crossing yesterday so I spent an extra hour down by the restaurant called At The Rail, where it cost $77 for lunch and the guys wear seer sucker suits and smoke fat cigars and the women wear ugliest hats and the skimpiest linen dresses. But their behavior can been just as rude as the low-rollers found in the simulcast area after a day of drinking beers out of their coolers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the track. As am employee there you come to understand the bottom line, despite talk about the "heady atmosphere" and the "the pretty horses", it's really all about the Daily Handle. Quaint name for the Daily Take.
I had wondered how your feet would do....I couldn't do this myself, I don't think. The curse of flat feet. The feet that just stop giving.....I only hope that all the horses you usher onto the track get to walk back from it, too. It's a nasty business. My two cents...............Hey, not everyone I know has spent any time at a track! Esp. not Saratoga!
Signed, an increasingly cyncial Julie in AK

Anonymous said...

im with you julie. i recently read that man o war's owner back in 1920 refused to let him run in the kentucky derby because he felt a young 3 year old should not be required to run a mile and a quarter on tender bones and he stopped racing him at 4 because at that age they have to start carrying extra weight. were there such wisdom these days.........
he died at 30 from a heart attack