Friday, August 08, 2008

LL Bean

After months of checking on airfares, I finally found a reasonable fare to Honolulu on United. I snapped it up for October 6. Now I just have to island hop from Oahu to Hawaii’s Big Island.

I hate cold weather and I love Hawaii, but when the fall LL Bean catalog arrives on an August morning when the temperature hugs 60 at day break, I love turning the pages filled with fleece pullovers, Saturday Sweats, River Driver shirts and barn coats. It’s all about marketing. The rich tans, vibrant golds, and deep moss pallets invite me to snuggle into the warmth and comfort of gear I don't need. Yes, I need a Katahdin Iron Works Sweatshirt like I need surf lessons. But honestly, a cool sunny morning dressed in a new pullover makes me feel alive as long as I know I can avoid ten below and a three foot snow drift.

I’ve not wanted to mention this to anyone. I know others have seen it too. There are several maple trees with turning leaves. And the other day I heard someone say we are half way through summer. This might be true in Upstate New York, but not on the west coast of The Big Island.

I’ll keep flipping through the catalog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, we had snow on the peaks yesterday...again! "Termination Dust," don't you know.

Hey I looked over the plans of the house again...I was struck by how yours and Robins twin beds were even in the same location as the plan....wow. I've often wondered what that room looks like now.

Cheers......

Valerie Perez said...

Even the name "Termination Dust" sends chills down my spine.

If I ever get my mess in the room cleaned up, I'll take a photo of the room.

Anonymous said...

hey - thats MY room!

Valerie Perez said...

Not in my Blog. It's My world!