Monday, August 25, 2008

So He Comes Back...

The next day, the same Korean War Vet comes back and gives me a Boston Red Sox ballcap, which was a nice jesture considering the money I put into his pockets. But I am no fan of the Bean Town Boys of Summer. I'm not much of a baseball follower except I have to give a hugh shout out to the kids from Hawaii who spanked Mexico in the Little League World Series.

Anyway, Jimmy asks for my choices in the twelve race card for Traver's Day in Saratoga. The place is mobbed, people pushing through the horse path as thick as refugees from Georgia and I'm rattling off my picks as Jimmy scribbles them down in his program. I explained they were longshots and throughout the day longshots crossed the wire first. They just weren't my longshots. One such pick paid $179 on a two dollar bet. Moans rolled through in the grandstands when Slambino flew down the track. A sobering gasp of disbelief fell on the crowd of forty thousand when the two dollar superfecta paid $1,523,188.00. This is not a typo.

At the end of the day I was down $14 and I knew Jimmy would want his $12.00 baseball cap back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's the game! You win some, you lose some...and the house always wins......

We you around Saratoga the summer that 11 year-old boy (who's dad owned a local bar) won some huge number of daily double picks? Something like 7 in a row or something??? I used to think that prepubescent were best at picking horses, but I think now perhaps we could also include the post-menapausal??? What do you think of this theory?

Valerie Perez said...

I think horses are best picked on a whim. If you spend too much time in analysis, you over think and miss the "feeling in your gut" that first attracted your attention. Yesterday, I missed a daily double becuase when asked why I liked a horse I had no good reason. I switched and missed out on a sure winner. Like multiple choice answers, never change your mind unless you have TWO reasons to do so.