Friday, October 06, 2006

Black Bear and Rhinos

Data compiled by the NJ Fish and Game Wildlife Department in 1997 said there were between 450 and 550 black bears in New Jersey.

Before I left Ogdensburg a huge male black bear sauntered through the back yard just a couple of feet from the sliding glass door. I’ve seen bear before, but not while sitting in a dining room eating breakfast.

Reminded me of the time I saw a black rhino stroll through the compound in Southern Nepal. He was from here to my nose, close enough that the staff nearly choked on my breakfast when they saw me standing there in complete stupid awe. At first, I thought it was one of those Disney animated animals. Wide-eyed the wait staff assured me it was real and I was dangerously too close.

The Rhino walked up to me as I casually made my way to the dining hall unaware of the fact that Rhinos might be walking around the swimming pool.

It was hard to believe I was watching a full grown black bear in the very same yard where I use to play with the rest of the neighborhood kids. I think the Fish and Game Wildlife Department needs a new census. Can't be too many young children playing on the street and no one leaves their dogs outside.

No comments: