Friday, October 20, 2006

Plan B

Some times you just got to punt. I waited a week for the electrician and his little helper apprentice. After accessing my situation his diagnosis entailed buying new light box housing for the fans—the transformer, the light and ceiling fan switches. Now where do you suppose you can get these things that come with a Life Time Guarantee? After all, Life Time Guarantee means forever. So where do you buy things to replace things that don't wear out, or break or fall apart or stop working? Not Lowes; not Home Depot. You got to contact Hunter directly.

I don’t know whose life ran out, but when it did, the guarantee on my fans was no longer valid. And if it was, I did not embrace the idea of calling a phone number that wasn’t even a 1-800 number. Facing a self-imposed deadline to get out of Dodge (sold two books while in Dodge) this morning, I decided to remove the two five-bladed ceiling fans and replace them with two $7.95 ceiling lights.

It is a tricky operation to install and remove large ceiling fans. It is not a solo operation, but I managed to get the two fans down without dropping the things on my head or falling off the ladder. The light installation was fairly easy except for navigating the ceiling screws through the lights’ insulation so I could attach the fixture to the plate secured to the electrical box. When I finished the last light I was so pleased and relieved. I could have bowed down and kissed the ground, except I was straddled atop of the ladder. I bowed my head and praised the Lord for His help.

Once all my tools were packed and the disasmebled fans toted to the trash, I informed Phoenix and Diablo to buckle up as we were headed east. It was 12:10 pm. I had not gone to the bank, yet. I was late for nothing. So much for Plan A.

The skies cleared, revealing Carolina Blue and the late afternoon golden rays spilled over the multicolored blanket draped over the Smoky Mountains. The foliage is at its autumn’s peak—brilliant reds, rich oranges and deep yellows set the coniferous greens apart. Beneath the clear skies it will be cold in the mountains tonight. A great night for star-gazing and dreaming.

Bear season opens this week in the Carolinas. A wise person would stay out of the woods.

No comments: