Saturday, October 07, 2006

Ocean City, New Jersey

Fred Miller said that I picked some bad weather for my visit to Ocean City, commenting on the high flood tides, the gale force winds and the spitting rain. "Well, actually compared to yesterday, this weather is kind f nice," I replied. As much as the wind is blowing like stink, at least it is not cold-59 degrees.

The forecast is to be nicer tomorrow and since I plan a voyage across on the Cape May Ferry to Lewes, Delaware on the ferry, I decided to wait one more day. It is only a 70 minute ride, but it could be a long trip if it is rough. Considering the surf today, I thought I would stay on land. Later I was told the ferry might not have even run today due to the high surf.

I sold two books before I got out of the campground this morning. George, a friendly and likeable host who made me feel very welcomed, wanted to buy The Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin. He also had been in the Peace Corps serving in Peru. He told me that next time he sees me he expects me to know a bit more Spanish, as learning the language will open a hold new preceptive to others and the world, something George believes, I would appreciate. (Yes, George but languages and knots are hard things for me to learn.) He is fluent in Spanish and French. The other book was sold to Vicky who happened to be in the campground store when I was explaining the background of the book to George. She exclaimed that she wanted one too. I signed both books and took their pictures.

I have enjoyed my stay at the Frontier Campground, just fifteen minutes south of Ocean City on Rt 50. On October 9th they close for the season. It has been nearly deserted, it is heavily wooded, quiet (except for the acorns that keep dropping on the RV-pop, pop, pop...) and here I have found the nearly perfect campgound bathroom/shower facilities. More about this later.
High tides and lots of rain closed some of the roads and bridges to the island, but George advised me to take the 34th Street Bridge. Several of the roads on the island were also flooded. Nevertheless, the Fall Block Party and Indian Summer Weekend was on. Rain or shine.

The last time I attended a street party was in Gloucester, MA. Remember? It was 105 degrees. I sold two books, almost fainted in the heat and met another author by the name of Joe Orlando who has written The Fisherman's Son. Ocean City's festival was a bit cooler and I wasn't trying to sell books at the local bookstore, Sun Rose. However, Fred Miller local author and town historian was. He has written three books on Ocean City, his latest is Ocean City, 1950-1980. I introduced myself and we chatted about our books and exchanged cards. If you would like a copy of Fred's book, you can contact him at ochistory at aol.com. (I wrote the address like that so those creepy spammers can't pick up the address.

Tomorrow, I'll head south again, along the shore. Where I go and where I end up is anyone's guess.

No comments: