Friday, October 06, 2006

Book Tour Continues

Let’s not forget this is a Book Tour. Uncle Ralph arranged a presentation and book signing at a retirement community, Franciscan Oaks in Denville – one with a solid economic base. With short notice but intense PR over two days, I managed to get about 20 people in the audience. These were the people who were not taking afternoon naps, playing cards, going to medical appointments and had some degree of interest.

It was the first time since being on the road, I had access to a projector. The visuals helped make a stronger discussion and presentation of my Peace Corps experience, the boat sail and my book. I sold three books. But during the three days I was with my aunt and uncle I sold six books.

Ocean City, NJ was to have a bizarre starting today. Stores put their wares out on the sidewalks and after-the-end-of-the-season tourists get to suck these deals up. Bathing suits are 70% off, t-shirts for a dollar, flip-flops and salt-water taffy are buy one get one free. I was looking for a sweatshirt and found Boardwalk Embroidery that would embroider it for free. I looked for a stock figure eight, something to match the book cover's knot, but could not find a sewing pattern for one. I settled for The Last Voyage of the Cosmic Muffin.

The boardwalk was deserted. The storm blew in from the sea sending waves to bite at the empty shoreline. Just a few shops were open. With a hot pumpkin spice latte to warm my hands and soul, I walked the wet planks ducking beneath the store overhangs as I waited for the embroidery to be finished.

When I returned we discussed the book and my publisher. It turned out the owner’s mother writes and wants to publish one of her books. I recommended BookSurge. Before I left I sold another copy, almost paying for my sweatshirt.

I came to the ocean to grieve. Well, the wind blew so hard my eyes watered anyway. Rain and wind pounded the RV, rocking the small vehicle as the gusts rushed up the side street. Go south, Valerie Perez, south. It was a good day for writing, and staying warm and dry inside the Rig with two sleeping cats.

I discovered while I sealed the leak in the front window (no more wet sheets) one of the side windows sprung a leak and so did the ceiling vent. It has been raining hard and long. There are flood watches out for the coastal communities. I nearly had to find a boat to make it to the campground restroom. On the next sunny day I’ll seal the windows with silicone.

No comments: