Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Brazilians on Mauna Kea

In the front the girls: Amanda and Iara In the back: Yule, Woody, Andre, Mateus and Kiko

At Visitor Center telescope.

Dad at the top of Mauna Kea with observatories in the background. A balmy 47 degrees, much warmer than the last time we were at the top.
I made my way to the summit ahead of everyone else. I noticed the group's excitement had calmed down as they experienced the reality of living off an atmosphere 1/2 what is is at sea level. The effects of the altitude - lightheaded, dizzy and weak.

Iara never made it to the summit. I came off the summit to pick her up off the snow field. I put her arm over my shoulder, and calmly encourage her back to the Expedition. She dropped to her knees several times exhausted. Once we returned to the truck I got her to sit inside to warm up (jeans and sneakers were wet), drink some fluids and rest. Then I rounded up the group to go back down to 9000 feet. Iara never lost her positive attitude about the situation. My ill effect brought on by higher altitudes is to swear like a sailor.

The snow was at least two feet deep in places.

No comments: