Monday, February 25, 2008

Volcano National Park




They sat at the curb waiting for my arrival. The Expedition handled eight, but we were nine – seven of them, Dad and me. I told them to bring sleeping bags, towels and warm clothes. When I saw the amount of luggage I never thought we would get it into the small storage space behind the third row of seats. Or if we got the luggage stowed, the kids would be left behind. Surprisingly, everything fit.


Off to Volcanoes National Park, a short 30 miles south of the Hilo Airport.

Promotional literature gives the impression that a tourist will witness earth being born as red lava flows from the depth of the planet. No such thing. Yes, there is lava, but... Three years ago, I hiked four miles over black sun baked barren lave fields to see the red glow of hot rock. The red glow was as impressive as the hot burners on a George Foreman grill. But I saw it and felt the heat, a few degrees hotter than the surrounding terrain. If I had a hot dog I would have cooked it.

Presently, lava flows on state land, not in the park; therefore, it isn't accessible to the public. Only by air can you see the red lava, and I am going to assume it is not flowing. Nothing is reaching the ocean at this time. However, Kilauea is spewing so much noxious sulfur fumes that the road around the crater is closed, and at times, the visitor center and museum are also closed. The rangers are conducting no outside activities.

I was disappointed that my Brazilian friends would not be able to see Hawaii growing at their feet. Nevertheless we made the most of the day, the highlight being the walk through the lava tube.

We made South Point just before sundown. They asked me what was there and I said, “Nothing really.” Not even a sign that identifies it as the most southern place in the US. I had to explain the words most southern. The sunset was spectacular.

It is a dark and windy road home. Dad was nodding off. After all, we had been up since 5 am in order to drive to Hilo and pick up the Expedition at Harper Rentals and be at the airport by 9:50. We had time to that morning so I showed him David and Kate’s fourteen acre spread and we bought sandwiches for lunch, thus avoiding the snack bar prices at the Kilauea Lodge.

We arrived at my condo. they tumbled out of the vehicle and rallied to unload the gear. We cooked three pizza, exchanged photos, put together a morning departure time to Mauna Kea and went to sleep.

Reminded me of Micronesia. Everyone sleeping on the floor. Except me and Dad.

No comments: