Tuesday, February 26, 2008

One Rule

I told them to make themselves home. Feel free to help themselves to anything, use anything. Be comfortable. Only one rule. No one could run around naked.

Although there was breakfast and packing and nine people to get through one bathroom we were only 15 minutes off our departure time. Have you ever seen a nineteen year old get up at the crack of dawn? These seven did so, managing tasks and time in a very effective and efficient manner.

Although conversations between them were in Portuguese I could tell when they were in the middle of making a decision. I asked Francisco if living together for three months caused any tension. He said nothing that lasted. I even watched them play Rock-Paper-Scissors for seat assignments. The loser taking his seat without a word, moan or display of any disappointment.
I only have four bowls and four spoons, so we ate in shifts standing around the kitchen bar where I only have two stools. No one was ever idle. Packing, eating or in the bathroom, or doing dishes or sweeping the floor, or loading the Expedition.
I told them that when we have snow days in New York, we cancel school due to the bad weather and roads. But today is a good snow day.
A brief stop in Kona to see downtown and we were off to Mauna Kea.

No comments: