Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bed Blog

I talked to my brother, Mike, the other afternoon, the nine-in-the evening call from Dad. Mike and Jennifer were in Saratoga for the weekend.

“So what are you doing right now,” Mike asked. “I’m returning home from Home Depot.” I replied taking the turn onto Alii Drive.

Mike laughed, not expecting the answer. Had he envisioned me lounging pool side? Or perhaps strolling along the beach picking up sea shells? Maybe sitting at the cabana drinking a Mai Tai. Afterall, it was Saturday in paradise.

However, the island has to get built somehow. Condo and homeowners have chores to accomplish just like anywhere else. Lowes, Ace and Home Depot are here to capitalize. I didn’t tell him the rented truck carried a load of patio furniture (just a small two seat set and table) and thirteen palms were blowing in the wind tucked between seven bags of dirt. And oh yeah, lumber. For constructing the bed.

Poised against the bedroom wall is a king size head board. It towered over a queen size mattress which was perched on a full size box spring and frame. The upside down pyramid came with the condo, hidden behind a comforter the previous condo owners used to hide their yard sale finds. Then I inherited the mess upon purchase.

Sleeping on this make shift bed was hazardous if you slipped too close to the edge. If you tended to draw the covers up throughout the night your toes would stick out the end because the sheets couldn’t be tucked.

After looking at the cost of box springs and bed frames, I considered another option. I like the Japanese low platform design and felt confident I could make such a thing, but for one small detail. I don’t have tools on island.

Next door a contractor was in the middle of remodeling a condo. I approached him with the option of cutting my lumber off a cut list. Maybe forty cuts. He agreed, but wouldn’t be able to get to it until the next day. That would have been okay except I had a bed designer, Steve, willing to help. The opportunity to get a new bed for the price of lumber and have a help with assembly couldn’t be passed up. So I borrowed a table saw from Daniel (of Alicia and Daniel, and Alicia and Steve connections), bought a drill (the third one I own) and began to toil over the project.

A well done frame. Square too. Hauled the old box spring to the dumpster and put the frame in my lanai closet, for now. (Man, it is getting full)

Next project: headboard?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bed of distinction! Julie

Valerie Perez said...

Added the last two slats yesterday. Note I ran out of lumber when decided to add a bit more length to the bed. I need to add photo of the bed with present headboard. Maybe in NY this summer I'll design and build a new one. More tools there than here. Of course shipping becomes an issue.

The distinction is that the sail captain helped make this possible.