Thursday, April 03, 2008

Consumed

I have been consumed by the weather. Look at the recent blogs.

I have resolved to forget about the weather. This is easier to do when the sun is shining, so a good day to make this resolution.

I’m beginning to think spring is a better time to make changes in routine, lifestyle, behavior, relationships and all those other things we tend to “correct” or to get around to projects on New Years Day, only to be abandoned a few days later, because it is the middle of winter, and it is a depressing thought to guess what day the river's ice flows begins to move.

So with a week left on the mainland before hopping a plane to Hawaii, I quit weather. This is difficult because I fear that weather might kill me. I don’t want weather to kill me. It is a good reason not to go to the summit of Mt Everest or trudge through Death Valley in July, or hang out on Mt Washington anytime of the year, or live in New Orleans, but honestly weather hasn’t deterred me. My sister once told me there wasn’t any such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. I add bad preparation.

I met a woman yesterday who had no desire to travel. I could not comprehend this lack of exploration or adventure. To be so fulfilled, satisfied and consumed with life, that it squelched the need to poke your nose in another place, time or culture. I can’t comprehend not knowing what it sounds like to stand on a mountain above clouds filled with lightening, or sit in the middle of the ocean and witness the stars fall to the horizon, or smell the rich decay of earth deep in a jungle or see a tiger’s eyes reflect off the surface of a quiet stream where it paused for a drink of water.

Not enough money or time to match the desire.

I have no idea where I was going with this one. Freaked out about the weather, I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we don't talk/write about the weather, there goes a huge amount of valid conversation. It's always a great topic of conversation with absolutely everyone you meet. The secret, I think, is not to BITCH about the weather.
We're having great weather up here in AK just now...spring with birds returning, the herring running and the smell of unfrozen earth! I saw a raven flying with purpose with a twig in its beak, building a nest...or did I already report that? Oh, I forgot that fragrance. Slept with the window open again. Yes, weather is all about rediscovery. Don't give it up! J.