Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Environmental Distrubance 201

They came early, before the morning heat penetrated the volcano dust, known as vog. Their machetes made quick work of the plants on the other side of the fence. My heart sank. Last week, I tore up the ti plants. This week the remaining foliage between my patio and the road fell. The two burly Hawaiians dressed in loose tank shirts cleared the beds for new plants. Small twigs of some kind, smaller than my palms replacing the scrub.

One old plant was huge and left a five foot void. Their work scattered bright green geckos along the white fence and fat bumbling wood bees hovered in search of new shelter. The mongoose trotted quickly across my patio looking confused in his dusty brown coat.

Nothing on the opposite side of my fence was spared. Well, my view of the ocean improved and I can’t say the road noise is that much louder, but my false sense of serenity has been torn up.

No comments: