Thursday, March 26, 2009

Budget

After planting my flag in Hawaii this year, I contacted Dave Ramsey to have my name and contact info placed on his website as a certified counselor. I went through his course four years ago but have coached only a handful of people because I can’t seem to stay in one place for any length of time.

I told the Ramsey Gang that when I mention Dave’s name in Hawaii they ask if he is some surfer dude, or they just give me that blank look when I say life is best when it is debt-free. Uncle Sam’s bent on tripling the debt to “stimulate” economic activity isn't helping the cause, but what can you do? My sister suggested I start my own tea party on April 15 here in Kona. There is a “revolt” in Honolulu that day.

I'd rather work one on one with people to help them dig out from their burden. It's micro-level, but that what is most important. It is what we can control. What are we going to do with out of control government spending? Cough up more taxes? You can also join in the pity line. I refuse and I digress.

I’ve been hacking away at the book. Slow going, but actually making progress. However, I won’t be making any money any time soon. Since money or lack thereof is in my cross hairs, I decided to put a budget together. I know my ship is leaking, it is just a question of how big is the hole.

As a counselor, I have access to Total Money Makeover, the online budget program makes the math disappear, kind of like all my money. It was back to the basics. I took everything I am responsible for and divided by 12. Just as I suspected, a monthly deficit of $443. Over fifty-three percent of my expenses goes toward taxes and insurance. Outrageous!

Anyway, I didn’t expect the phone to ring off the hook, but the listing at Dave Ramsey has resulted in two people contacting me about counseling.

With a monthly budget deficit I have got to consider options:
  1. Write that damn book and sell it. The writing I can do. The selling, not so much.
  2. Get a real job. A dreadful thought.
  3. Get serious about doing some financial counseling. Under consideration.
  4. Not pay my taxes. Now that could be stimulating!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

THATS EXACTLY HOW THEY WANT YOU TO FEEL - BUT WE CAN CONTROL GOVERNMENT - IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO CONTROL US. THEY WORK FOR US!!!!!!!
http://www.wesurroundthem.com/
http://www.the912project.com/

Anonymous said...

oh, and yes, you could always get a real job.

Valerie Perez said...

What I want to know is why the password to comment is "taxesti"? Is that Latin for tax state?

Yes, I can always get a real job. That is the beauty of having options.

Anonymous said...

why do you think i keep feeding the squirrels?

Valerie Perez said...

Is that a trick question?