Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Making Deals

I envisioned a coffee table of Asian decent. Handmade, in which I inlaid five lava rocks smoothed by the ocean waves. I got the design in my head and I got the rocks a few weeks ago when Dad and I hiked down into Poloƫ. But while floating around the New Industrial Park (verses the Old Industrial Park), I stumbled across a place having a 50% sale. The sale seemed a perpetual state of commerce for a store only opened on weekends. The table was unmarked, so I expected it was an arbitrary price when the owner told me the teak table from Indonesia was $175.00.

After some thought and a week later I came back to purchase the table. Except now he wanted $210, half price tagged now sported on the piece. I assumed the economy was now on full recovery. I explained that last week it was $175.

“Well, I can take $195,” he said, brushing the thick dust off the table.

“You told me that you would take $175.” I wasn’t budging. He had seven such tables last week and seven tables this week. Demand seemed stagnated at none.

“Are you going to pay me with an in-town check or cash?”

Okay, we started the negotiation. I offered cash and we had a deal. I figured by the time I bought the lumber, a few more tools and the finish my investment in the construction of a coffee table would exceed $200 and a lot of swearing. Sweat, I meant sweat.

Take note of the cushion and pillow covers. I made them last winter and they fit perfectly. The added pillows makes the couch more comfortable. Now I can put my feet up on the table for real comfort. Home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really neat and so island origonal. Hope we get to see it in the flesh soon. Uncle Dave

Anonymous said...

whats on the table?

Valerie Perez said...

You can click on any picture and blow them up for the details. Do that on the horse snap and you get to see nose hairs.

On the table is a white ceramic "tray" with two square candles that are near the end of their burn life.

There is also a sea urchin.

Come on over anytime!

Anonymous said...

one (or more) of my sushi plates would look fabulous. are you still planning on house/cat sitting in may or june?