Tuesday, January 01, 2008

“Man Overboard”

Good things can be expected from a New Year when it begins with a boat outing. I accepted the invitation to join Chuck and family onboard the Two Terbs. The cold front wasn’t expected to arrive until later tonight so I said yes.

The trip was a pleasant cruise down the Anclote River in search of wildlife – osprey, dolphin and manatee. I opted not to sit in the bow. Been there, done that. It’s windy and can be wet. Turned out the back end of the boat wasn’t much calmer or drier. I lost my brand new Java Lava hat and I confess I was freezing after getting doused with sea water. Teeth were chattering as we began the cruise home.

Since I was wet and I thought it prudent to keep the captain onboard when we ran aground, I slipped over the side. Reminded me of those times I watched Micronesians do the same thing in the shallow water inside the reef around the island of Pohnpei. Except the water is warmer and clearer, and the footing is soft white sand instead of some mysterious spongy dark goop.

I dragged the boat back into deeper waters, thinking African Queen. Chuck revved up the motor and we headed for the deeper waters of the river, while I checked to make sure I wasn’t covered in leeches. By then the idiot light indicating low oil came on.

Ah, boating. It is always an adventure.

Hi Bob!!
Last Three Photos by Susan Terbush

No comments: