Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day Contribution

Big article in the paper about the rising sea levels. I can’t wait. By most calculations my condo will sit ocean side in 100 years. Talk about an investment! I can heard the roar of the waves right now.

Another article offered suggestions on being more environmentally friendly. One should reuse before recycle.

The other day my pen went through the wash. After I emptied the washer and noticed the pen, I gasped. I looked at the wet clothes. There weren’t any blue stains. How I dodged that bullet I don’t know, but all the ink that leaked out of the cartridge stayed in the barrel.

I loved that pen, a Pilot EasyTouch, medium point. Smooth flow of ink. A tip that didn't catch on page and for me, a lefty, the ink dispensed with minimum excess so I didn't end up with the side of my hand smeared in blue. Well, not so such anyway.

I was happy not to be facing a laundry disaster but bummed about my pen. I dropped it into the bathroom trash can.

I cruised into town on my bike (my contribution to fighting the made-man global warming myth) to buy a new pen. Once in the store, I decided to buy refills, figuring I’d retrieve the pen from the trash, clean up the blue deposits on the inside and I’d have my favorite pen back. I won’t lie, this had nothing to do with icebergs melting, penguins dying, the planet exploding, or running out of lumber to make elementary school chair. (Honest to God, I use to worry about that when I was a little kid.) Instead, it was economics. A new pen cost $1.49. Two refills, the same.

Can’t recall ever buying refills. I wouldn’t recommend it unless the original cartridge was actually emptied from usage, not by some mysterious force that occurred in the bottom of the washing machine. The cartridge was empty, but the barrel was full of ink ready to stain my fingers, the sink, and anything within ten yard that wasn’t blue or should be blue. Since I had a meeting to attend that evening I was sure I had blue all over my face. Once ready to assemble and insert the new cartridge, I couldn't find the spring. I carefully picked my way through piles of now stained trash. Found it at the bottom of the mess.

Used half a roll of paper towels(trees that could have gone toward the school chairs)that are on the way to the land fill. Soap, water? Yeah, lots of that too. Go Green!

No comments: