Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shot of the Day

Grey Francolin (Francolinus pondicerianus)

I was in the kitchen when I heard what sounded like a puppy yipping in the parking lot. No dogs allowed in the complex so the curious noise got me to turn the fire down under the black beans (yeah, I do miss this cuisine of Tampa and Tarpon Springs, Florida) and check out the yips.

This fat bird was what I found. Looked like a quail and thought I better look for Dick Cheney.

I snuck back inside to get the camera. I changed to the zoom lens. The male had it in for his reflection hiding out in the hubcap.

I had no idea what kind of bird I had here. More internet searching, but I knew where to look after researching the juvenile cardinal the other day.

I thought the photo is much better than the one posted on the site.

2 comments:

Julie in AK said...

Great shot. You should be doing more wildlife photography!

Valerie Perez said...

got lucky