Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kayak '36

It hasn't been in the water since...well, I'm not sure. Dad seems to think he and Robin carried the boat down the hill to Moreau Lake, but after struggling to get it down from the rack in the garage, wrestling it to the roof of the car and dropping it off the car into the lake, he wasn't sure how he managed to lug it down the hill. A bit younger maybe?

I still wonder how two teenage boys hauled it from Lake Mohawk to Ogdensburg, a seven mile trip. That was in the 40's.I thought the last time the boat was out was when Mike and Andrew came to visit. Andrew was fourteen, I taught him to roll my kayak and there is a cool snap of dad and Mike paddling the boat hanging on dad's wall.

The hull needs a good Marine paint after some prep work, as there were a few leaks in the canvas bottom. Seems to be the project on the horizon this week, since Dad and I were unable to go to the Thousand Islands in the RV. The plan changed due to Phoenix's illness. She had a bad weekend of no eating, lots of drinking. Although she is only eight she is experiencing renal failure. It will be a tough trip back to Florida.

No comments: