Monday, August 13, 2007

Running, Not Writing

Okay, I am not getting up at the crack of dawn. Today it was raining. I went back to sleep and had a retro dream, which I think is unusual because dreams are always in the present, at least that is my theory. Think about it. This one was too, but I went back to a place of twenty years or so ago, to TRW and a corporate life. Big job, big income, big promising future up the corporate ladder. No telling where I would be if I stayed. Well, probably in jail, but that is a whole ‘nother story.

Last night, I visited those people who influenced my career. Decisions about line verses staff positions. Later, manufacturing verses human resources and finally stay or leave the company. But in this dream, I reminisced about leaving the corporate world and writing. Ohhhh. A nightmare by the time I woke up, fretting about not making any money and considering working part-time for UPS as a package handler for $8.50 an hour. It was a mistake to leave the track to the corner office. Everyone said so. Now look at me working for minimum wage and at 53 no chance in hell to get back on that track. Opportunities passed me by. Who cares if you enjoy what you are doing, if you don’t have the means to enjoy it.

I could see their faces plain as mine in the bathroom mirror when I finally got fed up with Diablo jumping on my head in an annoying attempt to get me up to feed her. Phoenix lets her do the dirty work.

A good run around the big block (four miles), including running half way up Gailor Road (it is a hill and then some) helped shake the dream out of my head. Then dad and I tackled the dead pine tree and hauled it off into the woods, after stacking the trunk on the elm we took down last week. Yup, a real lumber jack in the making here. While Dad ran into town to get a new chain after an incident (always an incident when a chain saw is involved), I flushed out the water system in the RV. It is not a difficult task, but time consuming. In between projects I did a load of laundry. Working on the RV stirred up a few memories of last year’s road trip. There were some lonely times on the road, lost without Mom.

The Trinity United Methodist Church of Wilton put a plaque on their organ in memory of Mom.

Dad showed me the rotten tree trunk in the woods by the RV and I discovered these mushrooms. Got my elbows chewed up by mosquitoes and still didn’t the snap I wanted.

The School Teachers are here.

No comments: