Tuesday, August 28, 2007

To Mom

Weren’t you scared of dragonflies? That is what I remember, but I don’t remember why. They are harmless.

They are flying around the house. Strange. Where are the Lilly pads floating gently on a reflective glass surface? The pussy willows lining the edge of shallow ponds and bogs? The place where redwing blackbirds sit on cattails and bull frogs strum in low reverberating hum? That is where you find the twin winged creatures. They are harmless.

Were you really scared of dragonflies? I can’t remember. That is the worst. I use to think it was not being able to talk with you, or share a story. But the worst is forgetting what I should remember.

The School Teachers were here last week. Ginny said she heard your voice the other day. As she sat on her porch, she heard you calling for Manuel. She told me she could still hear your voice, your laughter. I can’t. It is part of not being able to remember. Somethings have faded, but not missing you.

You are gone. The days became weeks, then months and now a year. A year today.

I sat outside the house, listening. I didn’t hear the voice that Ginny did. I heard a chickadee and wondered why you were scared of dragonflies and wondered why they are here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i almost made it through the day without crying. until i heard dads message. i dont think mom was afraid of dragonflies - i remember her telling me they were harmless. i cannot hear her voice. not for a whole year. i cannot. i cannot. why? but i do hear the chickadees. and i see them at the feeder. theres nothing that effects me like the chickadees - their song can pull me and my mind from anywhere. the sight of one always makes me pause. but i cannot hear her voice. i cannot. why?