Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bad Investment?

At 6 am, the rain woke me instead of the singing forest frogs on my cell phone’s alarm. It poured. I went to check on my bike. I wasn’t sure if the front tire was under the cover of the lanai. I was glad I had turned my cell phone off. My normal 5 am grogginess might not have alerted me to the heavy clouds before I set out for my run. I would have gotten drenched.

Instead, I noticed the pulled ham string. I can’t figure out how I did that. Too much running, biking and swimming. I can’t afford to abuse the body too much, as it is the only motor I got to get around town.

I left the water heater on this morning and took a long shower massaging the back of my leg.

Low on papayas, I rode off to the farmer’s market. After church tomorrow I’ll grind up the hill to Safeway to restock the refrigerator with dairy. The hill is getting easier.

It’s been almost three weeks since I’ve been on island and I have yet hit Lava Java. I figured the money I’m saving can be put to better use. Like buying ice cream from the deli across the street. One latte from the coffee shop is worth a pint of Häagen Dazs, which I could down in one sitting, but I’ve restrained my consumption. Pint can last two day. At least so far.

Now that I’m biking everywhere, gas prices on the island are sinking faster than a dead body tossed over board. The fall has actually shocked me. Poor OPEC dudes. When I arrived the price on the street in downtown Kona was $4.27. (It was $4.10 in May and I have no idea how high it got this summer.) Everyday the prices change. Reminds me of when Katrina struck, only in reverse. I thought the prices would hit $4.00 back then. Yesterday I actually saw the guy change the price. He was out in the middle of the afternoon with that long pole changing $3.87 to $3.77. And this morning the price was $3.65. Crap, that was what I paid in New York just before I came out here. Makes me wonder if I didn’t accidentally buy oil stock a few weeks ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well ive been buying for the past 7 - stupid me

Anonymous said...

oh - and i mentioned to someone yesterday that you had said in late spring/early summer that the price of gas would be $2 by years end.......... i thought you were nuts. if i had only known the price (world financial chaos) maybe it wouldnt have sounded so good...cuz its not sounding so good right now and i almost believe it.
(and how come the first word verification had the letters FEAR in it and this one has PAIN in it??!!?)

Valerie Perez said...

Well, I wish I was nuts. I don't know who else made this prediction, because I could not have been smart enough to make this on my own, but I know I said it. If I was a true wizard, I would have capitalized on my prediction, by putting my money where my mouth is.

I don't control the word verification either. Mine contained the word JERK.