Friday, October 24, 2008

Flat Tire

I’m better than most when it comes to wasting a good day. I’ve avoided the computer even though I have an idea for another chapter in The Kayak. My timeline in the book needs work and last night at the sun down, I might have put an idea in place. This might make you think I’m writing. Not really, but at least I’m thinking.

Since I wasn’t pecking away, the void needed to be filled. The room screen got my attention. I began construction last week. Not having a square turned the project into a tedious exercise of measure, measure and measure again. And without a third hand, things slipped around just enough. After more success on the second of the three screens I decided to disassemble the first. It drifted off to one side, just a hair. I bought a square, but it remained lopsided. To eyeball it, without a reference, it didn’t look off, but aligned with the other two… well, if the accuracy involved getting a man on the moon, the poor guy would end up in deep space. This discouraged me enough to let the frames lie on the office floor until I needed a good distraction from writing.

There went the day, sanding and staining and yep, that first one now with a few extra holes is still not right.

I found a writers group and considered attending. It was in south Kona, but I wasn’t up to the nine mile mostly uphill ride to the book store. Sure the ride would have been good for me, leaving me sweaty, tired and fretting about the ride back down the mountain. I'd never enjoy the session. I even considered taking a taxi to the meeting and then riding back. They will be there next week. After all, I haven’t been pushed by a fellow writer since February. Why now when I’ll be back off island in a month. Just another way of wasting time.

But as I fooled around with the stain I noticed a huge thorn sticking out of my rear bike tire. When I yanked it out I heard the tiniest whoosh sound. The tire a little softer than the front got even softer as the afternoon wore on. Good thing I didn't go trudging off to the meeting.

This was good news. When I purchased the tools to change a tire on the road, I imagined the mishap would occur around high noon out on some lava field and I wouldn’t have a drop of water on me. Stinking hot with not a bit of shade, the vultures would soon gather to watch me I labor with the flat tire.

On several occasions I have had flats. Very memorable experiences. All left me stranded. Don Haney rescued me twice. But now I’m riding alone and have not cultivated a network of those who might come chasing after me.

Lucky me, I “practiced” changing and fixing a flat tire in the comforts of my own lanai. It went well. Today’s self-adhesive patches sure beat those thick, rubber, cut-to-size patches and that noxious glue of the old days. Okay, now you know how long it has been since I personally repaired a flat tire. Despite being easier than I expected, I don’t look forward to the day I have to fix one on the side of the road, hunched over the wheel, sweat rolling down my face, and the sun pounding on my back. It’s a good reason to get to know some people in Kona.

No comments: