Thursday, October 16, 2008

Life On A Bike

Somewhere between here and there is a Bose Radio, two refinished boxes and the cushion covers I sewed for the wicker chair. Although the post mistress (Is there another name for that job?) said the packages were expected to arrive Oct 6, I knew better. I’ve lived on the Big Island before. Plan on as long as six weeks for parcel. Trouble with that plan is that instead of using Styrofoam peanuts to pack my stuff I used my clothes. My on island wardrobe consisted of a couple of t-shirts, a pair of shorts and some underwear, stuff I had left on the island back in May. Not being a slave to fashion and having access to a washer and dryer, I’m not hurting unless some good looking guy invites me out for dinner. However, I would like to have my sports bras and swim suit so I can turn my 5 am walks into trots to the Kailua Pier. And I’d like to do some laps in the community pool. If the packages don’t arrive soon I probably break down when the new Sports Authority opens Oct 17th. I hate to spend the money, but…

I’ve made an appointment to tune up my Cannondale mountain bike. At least UPS got it here when they said they would, albeit dinged and damaged. In the days gone by, I would have fiddled with it myself. As a teen I’d tweak the gears on my Schwinn Varsity, the first ten speed in the neighborhood. In those days I had aspirations of riding coast to coast. Instead I joined the Army (that deviation has an untold story) and took it to Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey where it was promptly stolen despite being under lock and key. Because it was responsibly secured, the Army gave my $73.50 for it. Once I got to Alaska I rolled the money into a Schwinn Paramount, a gem of a bike I still have. Classic.

At the Bike Works I armed myself with a spare inner tube, a set of tire changing tools, a patch kit and a CO2 cartridge. I purchased a little seat bag to carry my supplies, insurance I hope I never need. Now I can roam the back alleys of Kona and not worry too much about a flat tire. That is if I have the patience to change one.

I set out on my first shopping excursion once my gears were all aligned and falling smoothly into place. I wish the same could be said for me. My ass was sore from the previous day’s ride and the hill to Safeway and Walmart appeared pretty tall in the noon day sun. I made it up there without dismounting and pushing.

I learned that two quarts of yogurt and 32 ounces of cottage cheese, along with five papaya, three tomatoes, a hunking avocado and a bunch of bananas is a bit heavy when added to a back pack containing a locking cable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember your first 10-speed. It seemed so radical to me then. I recall you promptly rode it to Cape Cod, right? With panniers and all. I'd like to hear the AK story. Everyone up here has one. They usually involve a broken heart or an emptied bank account or both!
Enjoy the island..........

Valerie Perez said...

Whew, I thought you wanted to know the "Why I joined the Army" story. It was the Army that brought me to Alaska. Back then I was too young to know what a broken heart really was and me...I've never had an empty bank account. Call me squirrel.