Monday, October 20, 2008

I’m Kama'aina

I didn’t want a Hawaiian driver’s license. I hated to depart with the one from Tennessee. It was still good for another nine months. When I renewed that one, I was headed to the Peace Corps. But I want a Hawaiian library card and without proof of residency in the form of a license, state ID or local bank statement, I’m unable to get one. I’ve already been through this with the librarian. It doesn’t matter that I am registered to vote in Hawaii. Strange how I can vote here in the national election, but damned if I can’t check out a book.

I took a cursory look in the mirror before I left my condo. That photo is something I got to live with until 2015. I fussed with my hair just a little. I don’t have a hair drier. I need a cut. There’s no make up in the bathroom and the best I thing I can wear is a clean blue t-shirt. I arrived a little after 8 AM and already there were several people in line. Back in April when I tried to get a license but didn’t have my Social Security card, I procured an application so that was already completed. In the tiny office, manned with just two clerks, the line efficiently moved along.

“Are those the glasses you use for driving?”

“Oh yes.”
Pointing to the machine that looks like a microscope, she said, “Okay, look in there and identity any three of the twelve signs.”

I took the first three. “A speed limit sign 35MPH, a pedestrian crossing and a divided highway ahead.”

“What about number nine?”

“The familiar eight-sided stop sign.” I peered over the lenses of the machine and smirked at the teller. She smiled back. I should've said octagon.

I adequately read out loud the numbers on line six and passed my vision test. The clerk handed me a 30 question test, with an answer sheet and told me I could miss six out of the thirty questions. The first question was about the number of days I had to notify the department of an address change and whether I inform them by mail, in person or by phone. I tried not to panic. Maybe I should have studied, thinking of that time I spent with my best friend Barbara on the beach in North Carolina cramming for the test. When was that? 1987? Let’s use a little logic here. Once done, I refused to check my work and almost paid for it. I pass the test by the skin of my teeth.

She gave me my corrected test and asked me to review it. Good move Hawaii. I would have argued one question, the pedestrian crossing sign I identified in the eye exam. It really is a school crossing sign. Aren’t these little kids pedestrians? Oh well. If I go for the motorcycle license I definitely will study.

My photo came out very nicely. How can anyone not have a good photo when you are asked to look at Stitch, the stuffed alien of the Lilo and Stitch movie? Too make matters even better by the time it's transferred onto the license, the image is softened to a nice blur which erases all those wrinkles. I look twenty years younger. I recommend any time you are in Hawaii, get yourself a drivers license.

“If everything is correct, you can take it and go.” After putting my license into my wallet, Iwent outside, jumped on my bike and rode home.

Library is tomorrow. Place is closed on Mondays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fun to hear what you are going thru in becoming a Kama'aina. It was much the same when we did it 35 years ago, except the lines are longer and there are more clerks now. As you will find out in a few years - as you get older the length of time before renewal gets shorter. I now have a 2 year license.
Actually I don't think they consider you Kama'aina until you have lived here 20 years - but its worth it! Love Uncle David

Valerie Perez said...

I heard last week that the average length of stay on the Big Island is 18 months. I guess dreams can go down the tubes pretty fast.

The library card will be proof positive of my local status. I can't wait to go in there and show my driver's license to the librarian.