Thursday, August 24, 2006

Another Day

I slept well last night. I said my prayers, giving what would have been a worry to the Lord and fell into an easy sleep. I woke as I have been waking over the past few weeks. In the predawn the cats stir from their stations where I have tangled my legs between the two of them. Or maybe it is just hunger that causes them to roam around the RV, looking out every window, including the small portal near the top of my head. It is impossible to ignore their curious morning patrols.

But this morning my mind quickly found the thoughts of last night that I easily let go.

My dad said that mom joined the Rusty Club. It was a funny comment from my dad this morning given the circumstance. Rusty, a sheltie mom and dad once owned sported a pacemaker. Last night mom had a heart attack and suspected blot clot that required an air lift to Albany Medical. As I slept, Mom underwent surgery to place a stint and a pacemaker inside her. My dad, fortunately accompanied by a neighbor, drove down to Albany as Mom was winging it in a helicopter. Except for some reason which isn’t too clear, Dad arrived well ahead of the chopper. I imagined my feelings if I had been chasing a chopper down the Northway only to arrive ahead of it. The worst and the second worst would come to mind immediately—the chopper crashed and the patient died. Neither happened last night.

After talking with Dad, I called to each of my siblings. Mike, who was headed out the door for a doctor’s appointment, was home after returning from Colorado where he delivered baby-shower gifts to his daughter. Robin, also heading out the door, but for a change in her schedule was not working today. Jennifer who gets to the lab early, had called home to let Mom and Dad know she was planning to visit this weekend, instead heard the news directly from dad. Mark was on the job, painting the den before next week’s carpet installation. We all go through our day to day living and get hit with news that causes us to pause.

I tried to rationalize why I wasn’t driving home to look after both of my parents. Dad has not been doing well since I left. Three book events I reasoned. It did not seem like a strong reason to stay out here. After all, if things go well, I might sell ten books, so it is hardly a financially crushing opportunity lost. Nevertheless, I am staying put until the book signing on Monday. I will turn The Rig west on Tuesday morning and pick up the interstate system to get home sometime Tuesday afternoon. I’ll return to New Haven on September 7, 2006, but will probably make that a day drive in the Jeep.

Tomorrow is my parent’s 60th wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary. I'll be home soon. And I love you.














Pluto

Had a bad day? Pluto is no longer a planet. Downsized. How embarrassing is that? 300 of the 2500 astronomers showed up for the vote, based on the definition which says a “planet not only must orbit the sun and be large enough to assume a nearly round shape, but must clear the neighborhood around its orbit.” Pluto, a planet since 1930, got the boot because it didn't meet the new rules. Once you’re in an exclusive club of nine, and one day a group of apathetic astronomers meet and decide your textbook status is through. Gavel down; decision made. Yes, Pluto it is cold way out there. I predict a new verb for business axings. “Joe got plutoed.” If you hear it, remember you read it here first.

No comments: