Sunday, August 20, 2006

Rain

I listened to the weather come in last night, lightly tapping on the RV’s roof. Little bands of rain brushing through the stillness of the campground. I imagined every tent camper pulling the ends of their sleeping bags away from the edges of their tents as they too listened to the rain and wished it would stop before daylight. It did just the opposite and poured as a dim light broke at dawn. The cats were already pounding on my head for food. Diablo crying as she wandered from window to window jumping on the counter tops, table top and back to my head. At last, she nestled down in the crook of my arm and tried purring to roust me from the sheets. It was the wind sending splatters of rain on my feet that got me to rise and close the window. I fed the cats, and fixed a cup of Vanilla Crème International Coffee, then negotiated my way through two cats eating breakfast and their water bowl back into bed where I did my daily Bible reading. It was from 1 Timothy 6:6 “But godliness with contentment is great gain.” So I listened to the campers pull up their tent stakes and the RVer’s lower their rigs from their levelers and smiled.

I came close to foregoing church for laundry duty, but made my way back to Newport’s Church of Christ, being one of three guests in a congregation of nine. We all came forward for communion in a circle and passed the sacraments amongst us. A special prayer for me for tomorrow I am back on the road.

I must remember to do laundry during the week when others are at work. I picked a laundry close to Wal-Mart and the naval station, so it was very busy. I noticed most dryers were empty and most washers were full, so I knew I was on the tail end of a wave of washers. I found a washer; colors and whites mixed into one huge washer and a twenty-seven minute cycle. I expected I would have some difficulty finding a dryer, but caught one right at the end of my wash. While the clothes suds up, I went to look for a decent ice tray. They came in a four pack for $1.05, including tax.

The sun was beginning to break through a thick layer of clouds by mid-afternoon, but in the distant I heard thunder.
A bank of dark clouds hurried up the bay and I thought it would stay to the west, but a shift in winds carried the pack overhead with a hard blow. I closed up the west side of the RV and hatch and watched the darkness creep eastward covering a still blue sky. Once again the sun is showing some promise. I am hoping the weather clears for sunset, as I would like to go to the marina and shoot some boats.

No comments: