Sunday, August 27, 2006

Waning Summer

Tonight, I am tired and almost lost for emotion. I have watched each of my siblings provide comfort to our father, offer encouraging words and demonstrate compassionate consideration to each other during this tough and uncertain time. I am so proud of my family, their love for each other and patient understanding.

Our mom is not dong very well. The heart attack was massive and is receiving no natural electrical impulses. It is confused and lost. She needs a by-pass and pacemaker, but is not stabilize enough to undergo the procedure. The next twenty-four to forty-eight hours will be critical as we all pray for some sign of improvement. She is on a respiratory so that her heart is not strained under the exertion of taking a breath. Under heavy sedation she shows no signs of response to our conversations.

I have held her cold and swollen hand, kissed her on the forehead and told her that before I left Mystic I saw a maple tree down by the river that had a touch of red in its branches, a sign of shorter days, cooler temperature and the waning days of summer. I pray mom gets to see the colors splash across the North Country and that she gets to see photos of her first great grand child. But honestly, it doesn’t look very promising.

I have not asked God to take her. Nor have I asked God to heal her. But I have asked that His plan be done and that I am able to bear His task and purpose.

No comments: